Korg has released a new Korg Kronos: the Korg Kronos X.
Basically it’s the original Kronos with:
- 1 extra GB ram (still expandable to 3GB like the standard Kronos)
- a larger SSD (Solid State Disk) allows support for gigantic sound library expansions, such as the KRONOS Sound Libraries and the KARO Sound Libraries.
- a nice red “X” together with the Kronos logo 🙂
- the new OS update 2.0.2
So if you have a (wow, is it already to be called “classic”?) standard Kronos, you can have all the specs as the X. You can buy extra ram, you can install a second SSD and you can update your Operating System. You only miss the X logo 😉
New operating system
The OS 2.0.2 has some nice cool features (beside some bug-fixes). Here’s the announcement of Korg with the highlights:
Korg is pleased to announce the release of KRONOS software version 2.0.2!
For the original KRONOS, software version 2.0.2 adds a number of new features, including User Sample Banks, support for installing a second internal SSD, improved Akai and SoundFont 2.0 import, and support for USB ethernet adapters for transferring files between the KRONOS and your computer.
For both the KRONOS X and the original KRONOS, software version 2.0.2 also includes various improvements and resolutions to specific operational issues.
User Sample Banks
User Sample Banks bring the benefits of Korg’s EXs to your own custom sample libraries:
* Load & play gigabytes of your custom or converted samples, using Virtual Memory
* Create subsets of banks, and mix and match parts of different banks, without duplicating samples on disk
* Easily share sounds with friends and collaborators
Second Internal SSD support
The KRONOS now supports installation of a second internal SSD, for more storage of samples, audio tracks, and program data.
* Supports blazing-fast, road-ready SATA SSDs
* Installation by authorized service centers only
* Contact your Korg Distributor for details on purchase and installation
USB Ethernet support
The KRONOS now supports USB Ethernet adapters for fast, easy file transfer with personal computers.
* Back up files to your computer, transfer samples to the KRONOS, and organize and re-name files and directories on the KRONOS internal disks
* Connect via off-the-shelf USB Ethernet adapters (see manuals for list of supported devices)
* Uses industry-standard ftp, for universal support of all modern operating systems
Improved Akai and SoundFont 2.0 import
Import of Akai and SoundFont 2.0 libraries has been improved in various ways. Most notably:
* Up to 16 stereo velocity zones are now supported within a single HD-1 Program
* Increased compatibility with variations in SoundFont 2.0 formatting and naming
* Enhanced support for SoundFont 2.0 synthesis parameters
KRONOS v2 Editor and Plug-In Editor
KRONOS System Version 2.0.2 will be supported via the upcoming KRONOS v2 Editor and Plug-In Editor software, which will be available for free download at www.korg.com/kronos/Support at the end of August 2012. The previous versions of the Editor and Plug-In Editor are not compatible.
For more information on the new features, please see the updated PDF manuals and the onboard Help system.
In addition to new features, the update includes various improvements and resolutions to specific operational issues.
The new software is free for all registered users, and will be available for download at 9PM (EST) on Aug 8 from http://www.korg.com/kronos.
We hope that you enjoy these additions to the KRONOS as much as we enjoyed creating them!